Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What if the bride's parents are divorced and it was a very UGLY split & he bashes the mom still?

The father left his wife and 3 chidren for another woman. He has kept up some relationship with the bride-to-be, but her MOTHER is the one who stayed and raised all the children with no help. Should she ALSO be asked by the husband-to-be for the bride's hand?What if the bride's parents are divorced and it was a very UGLY split %26amp; he bashes the mom still?
I would do it out of respect since it is the daughter. But its completely up to you!What if the bride's parents are divorced and it was a very UGLY split %26amp; he bashes the mom still?
I am in a similar position as the daughter with divorced parents. My mother and father aren't friendly with one another - cordial, but not friendly. Not to mention that the live across the nation from one another. In addition to that ugly split my father remarried to a wonderful woman whom he has also since divorced. So that leaves me with a Mother/Step-Father pair, Father and my wonderful not-to-be-forgotten (ex)Step-Mother.





My Fiancee asked all 4 parents. Granted he didn't have to ask them all individually, but he chose to respect them each with the question. My step-mother was surprised because she didn't think she would be asked - that's a father's role. And my mom cried, happy tears. My Step-Father was honored too, because he thought that as a step-parent he would be overruled by the biological father. They all told me (after he proposed to me) how special it was that he asked them all and got every ones blessing before progressing.





He called and e-mailed - he was deployed when he asked for the permission. It was non-traditional but it was so fitting for the circumstances. He also sent both my mothers (the most important people in my family to me) flowers as a ';Thank you for allowing me to Marry your Daughter'; TOO SWEET!





%26amp; Remember that each family if different, what works for one doesn't always work for another.





In short answer to the question: Yes, she should be asked for the permission/blessing as well.





Good Luck!


-Elle
My parents are both divorced and re-married to other people. My dad doesn't really like being around my mom much for some reason (I think it was because she wanted to divorce him), but I'm not worried about how they will be at the wedding and I don't think you should be either. If they really care about their child (the one getting married), they will suck it up and be humble for the big, special day. It's selfish of them not to do that. It'll make it awkward for everyone if they don't get along.
Interesting question, and it sounds to me asking the mother of the bride would be a very sweet gesture and one the mother of the bride would really appreciate.
I'm estranged from my father so my husband asked my mom. She is after all the most important figure in my life %26amp; deserved that level of respect. So yes, of course, he should ask her.
The mother should walk her daughter down the isle. The father and his HO should be placed at another table, Maybe more near the grooms family. No your fiance doesn't have to ask for your hand in marriage. That is old school.
Wedding rule number one and most important is you make the rules do not ask someone just because of a blood tie
i think they should both be asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment