Thursday, February 11, 2010

Should i split my upper body workout into 3 consecutive days?

For the past 8 months I have been working out my upper body 3 days a week, monday, wednesday, and saturday. And each upper body day i workout the same muscles. If I started splitting my upper body muscles into 3 consecutive days but repeating that twice in a week would i see better results or should i just stick with my current workout plan.Should i split my upper body workout into 3 consecutive days?
You could do like the first answer said, a lot of guys split it up... personally I just go do 5 sets of 5 different lifts and increase the weight until I can only do 4-8 reps on the last couple sets (for gains), and I do this every 48-72 hrs for my upper body. This is called the ';5x5'; you'll see it ona lot of body building forums





And at this point I am more into compound movements over isolation lifts, I am more into power than trying to look completely perfect like ArnoldShould i split my upper body workout into 3 consecutive days?
I think you would see best results if you split your upper body apart, and did different muscles every day. Do chest, triceps, rhomboids, trapezoids and deltoids one day, and biceps, forearms, lats, teres, infraspinatus and lower back the next day. If you are only focusing on upper body, then alternate between those 3 times, for 6 days a week. Do different exercises for each workout though, don't just repeat the same stuff every second day.
Unless you're either:


a) a pro bodybuilder


b) a very experinced trainer


c) on steroids





I would say it is pointless to split your upper body into 3 different session. The majority of beginner/ intermediate trainers get better results from low volume, high intensity, moderate frequency workouts. Try an upper/lower split. For example:





Monday/Thursday:





Bench press - 5x5


Bent over row - 5x5


Pull ups - 5x5


Shoulder press - 5x5





Tuesday/Saturday:





Squats - 5x5


Deadlifts - 5x5


Split squats - 5x5


Calf raises - 3x10


Planks - 3x30 sec holds





Hope this helps.
It would be better for you to split it over 3 days, as your muscles need to rest to grow before they are next hit. Don't be repetitive (not consecutive days); chop and change routine every other day, as your muscles would just get used to the same old routine and you'd burn them too much, and you wont see a difference soon enough. You would see better results by splitting this way instead, or you'll cause yourself a muscle injury that will put you out and spoil your programme..








All the best
no it's not good

No comments:

Post a Comment